I want 200BHP+ out of my standard vr what do i need to do?

And what difference would fitting a corrado throttle body make on a golf vr6?

matt' date='i`ve got one on mine and it defo made a differance,took a while for the ecu to adjust to the extra airflow b4 i felt it.an obd1 only mod though

[/quote']

I've got a Corrado TB on mine too. Definitely pulls better at the top end. GUTTED I couldn't run at the RR day to see proof of the improvement.

i removed the restrictive lumps on std obd1 TB and that even made a difference! much more responsive. ;)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a German imported RSD air filter on mine, shuld have cost £165, got it on Ebay for £65 and it produces a sound to die for, power is increased i'm sure but how much i don't know the fact sheet states 15 bhp... when you bury the throttle it sounds like a V8, i'll take a pic and put it on here at some point

Well, I got my remap done at last. The engine has the follwoing mods:

- Corrado throttle body

- Schrick 268 Cams

- Raceland 6-branch manifold

- BMC CDA filter

- Milltek cat-back system

- Custom ECU remap

and made:

204BHP @ 6000RPM

180lb-ft @ 5687RPM

My engine is a 2.8 OBD1. I would expect to see at least 210BHP on a 2.8 OBD2 with the same mods, and at least 215BHP on a 2.9.

Adding a Shrick VGI manifold to the above produces only an extra 5BHP, but hikes the max torque by a respectable 25lb-ft, tried & tested. More importantly, the Schrick manfold gives a huge improvement in torque between 3000-4000 RPM. Next time you are on the motorway in 5th gear, look at where your rev needle is most of the time and you will soon see the value of this!

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

whats "de-coning" the standard air box all about?? Ive got the standard air box' date=' with a panel filter, and i noticed a bit of a diffrence, power much earlier in the rev range. Would be intresting to hear what "de-coning" is so i can try that too and see what gains i get.

[/quote']

I had a RAMair on mine but the heat soak was quite noticable and the inside of the car boomed about 4000rpm. I've now got a K&N panel filter in a de-coned airbox which sounds very "factory" and most of the time seems to have the upper hand power wise over the RAMair.

However, I think the RAMair may have a bit more throttle response when approaching top end.

I also tried a standard filter and the K&N is completely different to feel.

Removing the cone is both hard and simple!

Undo the top part of the airbox and remove the hose.

Flip it upside down and you'll see the cone there, it's about 6 inches and quite narrow at the base.

It's only held in place by friction as is slotted in from the outside (actually there may be a screw - please check!)

It's just a matter of pushing it out, try a bit of lube but not silicone based or kiss your lambda sensor goodbye. I used soapy water I think.

I put a rag and a piece of wood over mine and bashed it out as it was well wedged in.

I still have the RAMair though, I did like the noise apart from the boom and the car sounded faster. When I get time I'll either look at using the RAMair with an airbox built round it, or modify the existing airbox with another cold air feed/switchable vent just to tune the sound - I have some plans/ideas for this swishing around in my head.

I think K&N and de-coned airbox probably gives best bang for buck in terms of power due to it's low cost and K&N's offer better than factory filtration, something the other makes weren't happy to comment on when I contacted them. The BMC does look good though and I'm sure filtration is fine.

Can you definatly get early vr's remapped, mines a '92 AAA, and I'm short of the 200 mark !!!

Mines just had new plugs,lead,cap,rotor arm, and its got a ram air induction kit, and just a scorpion back box, and at a rolling road session with the local gti region, mine made dead on 190BHP, this hasn't cost much to get it here, but the magic 200 still laughs at me when I sleep !!!!!

Last post by me sounds dumb now I've realsied there are 6 pages of this and not just the 1 that I read before I replied - I'm new, bare with me !!!

Can I buy a heat shield to protect my ram air ? I've got a cold feed pipe but I'm sure it needs shielding

• 1 month later...

there is no heat sheilds available to buy for this kit mate, you would have to get one custom made. Try posting on here as some of the members sometimes talk about being able to get a hold of a shield for it.

make it urself matey,not too difficult,and unfortunalt jus a cold feed pipe will do nowt

here is my k+n in my modded air box :

golfpics014.jpg

i cut the top off the box so the filter sits in,but the bonnet closes over that gap,and iv left some of the box cut out at the bk so a lil hot air can get in

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I have a from cat back exhaust so far!

Also a strut brace.

1-6 Branch

2-DeCat

3-A decent exhaust system 2Half inch all the way through' date=' Either custom made or named..

Dont run 17's, Max 16's, the weight from big wheels will slow you down..

Ive been reading a few of your posts in regards to Induction kits, gone way off topic lol...

Everyone has there views, but are you interested in performance or are you just interested in makin your car sound brill...

I have tried Inductions mate, personally the Big Fcuk off RAM is pooops, only in the Cold weather it would be good, quick journeys etc, otherwise it draws in alot of warm air as it sits by the head getting warm...

But its up to you, thats my opinion mate, the VR loves the cold!!

[/b']

I have an early OBD1 VR6 (93' date=',pre cat) does this mean that i am up on power compared to standard catted VR6's ?

I have a full stainless Cobra exhaust and a ram air induction. will my power be more than standard ?

[/quote']

Cats are law from august (iirc) 92' and no decat doesnt up power just feels quicker !

I have an early OBD1 VR6 (93' date=',pre cat) does this mean that i am up on power compared to standard catted VR6's ?

I have a full stainless Cobra exhaust and a ram air induction. will my power be more than standard ?

[/quote']

Cats are law from august (iirc) 92' and no decat doesnt up power just feels quicker !

Spot on Bounty as there are 'No Restrictions'.... Full flow!

I have a from cat back exhaust so far!

Also a strut brace.

1-6 Branch

2-DeCat

3-A decent exhaust system 2Half inch all the way through' date=' Either custom made or named..

Dont run 17's, Max 16's, the weight from big wheels will slow you down..

Ive been reading a few of your posts in regards to Induction kits, gone way off topic lol...

Everyone has there views, but are you interested in performance or are you just interested in makin your car sound brill...

I have tried Inductions mate, personally the Big Fcuk off RAM is pooops, only in the Cold weather it would be good, quick journeys etc, otherwise it draws in alot of warm air as it sits by the head getting warm...

But its up to you, thats my opinion mate, the VR loves the cold!!

[/b']

268 CAMS and a remap also ?

[/quote']

ok i am officially confused now, coz my car doesn't have a cat and when i was shopping for a new lambda sensor the nice lady at VW wayside parts department said that my car doesn't have a cat as standard as i am pre cat which i've heard from 4 different people now :S