As you know I have an ongoing issue with some work I've had done on my head and some interesting facts have arrisen in the last couple of days I'd like to share with you all.

Initally I had my head recon'd with new guides ect because of overrun smoking. (and thats all it was smoking).

I picked up the car 3 weeks ago and it ran like a dream, no smoke at all and even stayed with a V6 Clio on the M1!

A couple of days later I noticed a follower getting noisey and then it started smoking again and also smoking like fuck when I booted it.

Alarm bells started ringing and I thought oh shite its my rings that are shagged or head is wrong. I rang my friend at the garage who did the work and he said, well, we've done what needed to be done as the exaust guides were shagged so it must be oil rings.

Slightly concerned that a car with 65k on the clock should have fucked rings and that it never smoked before when I booted it (just on the overrun) I called Vince at Stealth for some advice. He asked if the guys had done many VRs, as if you order guides from German and Sweedish or any other aftermarket place they are too long for the head, it looks fine on the bench but when you rebuild and fire up, the crown of the valve spring smashes the top of the guide and fooks it completely!!!

He said he's never seen a VR below 100k with worn rings!

I have a slight problem now as:

1. I need to get my car back down to Plymouth from Leeds and am reluctant to drive it 360 miles with guides breaking up in my head.

2. The guy at DB autos is suggesting it's piston rings (he didn't rebuild the head it was sent off to be done) he just put it back on the car.

3. The place doesn't open again until the 3rd of Jan and I'm dying to get it sorted.

4. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY How the hell do approach the subject with him and not accuse him of lying! I'm hoping he will be reasonable but my motto is 'Be prepared'!!

Please help, as I am (and Vince is) 99.9% sure it's not rings and will not pay out for work that isn't needed. I just want it put right!

This bit on the premium member download concerns me:

Cylinders 1, 3, and 5 have short intake runners and long exhaust

runners while cylinders 2, 4, and 6 have long intake runners and short exhaust runners.

If the guides are wrong or have been installed wrong, well, I have my answer.

bad news jay :-( the garage who does all th work on my car (and race 2 vr6' in the VW cup) also say the bottom end is bullet proof on the VR6- rings are never an issue - only when they get to high mileage or have been poorly serviced... It has to be the head mate.... 66k car and its mint too... Unless you take it somewhere else- get them to tell you the head is f*cked and then get your money back from the garage who did the work... not easy really if its your mate....

bad news jay :-( the garage who does all th work on my car (and race 2 vr6' in the VW cup) also say the bottom end is bullet proof on the VR6- rings are never an issue - only when they get to high mileage or have been poorly serviced... It has to be the head mate.... 66k car and its mint too... Unless you take it somewhere else- get them to tell you the head is f*cked and then get your money back from the garage who did the work... not easy really if its your mate....

Sorry to hijack the thread - but where is the garage that services your car warren? Your fairly near me and im after a garage near me that knows what its talking about when i get any engine work done!

Good luck with your problems Jay - keep us updated! Sounds like i've got the same problem as you with smoke on the overrun! :((

Well guys, I'm going to approch him when he opens up on the 3rd of Jan. I'm in Plymouth now (VR tucked up in my Garage with some medicine!) but don't really want to go and pester him on the xmas holidays.

I'll give him the opportunity to put it right and I may suggest sending the head off to Stealth, as Vince said he would do it PROPERLY!!

MERRY CHUFFING CHRISTMAS ONE AND ALL!