Would the wheel bearing cause a rubber smell ?

I got it MOTed just before xmas and it failed on slight play in the rear wheel bearings and the guy at the garage said go home tighten it up a bit and he will pass it, so i done them up a little bit and he passed it, i did think to myself i will replace them after xmas as they arnt that expensive, i think i better do it sooner rather than later ,about 15 years ago i had a mk1 scirroco that the rear bearing went on and it chewed up the end of the stub axle and the back wheel over took me :o

Thanks

Bee...

rear bearings on a vr6 are supposed to have a small amount of play in them (taper bearings always do) some dick head in a quick fit where i had a puncture repaired at, tried to tell me i had a knackered wheel bearing too! c**t, i informed him this was not the case & to stick to fitting valves in tyres! anyway my point is this if you over tighten the bearing it will start to break up and the burning smell maybe the bearing/grease under the cap getting fking hot, as you say about your scirroco i had the same (almost) with a mk1 golf but managed to get to it before it went- luckily.

I went and brought a new set today and there is a rubber/plastic type of seal that comes in the kit, it must be that that's burning :(, like you said the bearings must be getting fu@king HOT !!, when i took it for the mot there was only a tiny bit of play in it and the twat said cause there tappered if you do it up a bit it will get rid of the play, when i took it apart the nut was already finger tight which i though it is supposed to be so i only tightened it a slight bit which i didn't think made any difference at all to the play in the wheel but i took it back to the plonker that mot'ed it and he jacked it up felt the play and said "yeah thats fine now mate", i thought it was the same, i said to him that i was gonna replace them after xmas anyway and he said i wouldn't bother there be alright now, "Yeah right".

Thank

Bee..

new ones will sort it mate, there was a recent thread about the bearing fitting, its not too bad, are your rear discs worn? if they are it might be worth doing them too as you cant get a bearing out undamaged onced "pressed" in, it damages the race, just a thought & saves doing it twice, oh and get genuine bearings if you can? some of the ecp and after market stuff isnt that good quality.