Odd noise just after starting engine - only lasts for fraction of a sec - similar to fan belt noise

Hi in the last couple of days my car has briefly made an odd screech noise (not too loud but audiable similar to a fan belt noise) for half a second always just after I turn the engine on. Then it disappears. Sometimes it doesn't happen. What is that - it only lasts for a fraction of a sec.

Cheers

Matt

Thanks for your replies.

My car has no problem starting at all - sounds normal there's just the additional screeching noise now which is very brief and a couple of seconds after the engine has started. Bit odd. I'm seeing the Phirm Saturday so will see what they say. It seems to be coming from the centre of the engine but not sure. If it's the tensioner bolt is that bad but easy to fix... what could cause it? Any other possible causes of the noise?

What does the auxiliry belt do and if that is slipping is it expensive to fix?

Does sound like a sticky starter motor. Might need removing and re-greasing.

Thanks there "Mighty", thats what I was leading up to, mine starts the car no problemo but every now and then lets out a squeal, and was defined as a "Lazy" starter..probably right though, a bit of grease may suffice..

:P:P;)