does anyone else have a slight whine noise from 3rd, 4th and 2nd when u come off the gas? when accelerating no whine , it isnt stupid loud just slight

also when sitting in traffic or whatever and the car is in neutral i get a slight grinding noise that goes away when i depress the clutch, im thinking inputshaft bearings ?

would this be ok to leave or will it blow up on me?

fabio

Check the gearbox for oil, Fab, and replace it if necessary, smell the oil, if it has a sour type smell then it needs replaced !ill . I know that newer VW boxes are supposed to be "Sealed for life" but trust me mate ;) , as an engineer oil does go off! Been there done that and boy! it don't half linger in the nostrils long after its gone ! !dodge ill ....There should be filler plugs and drain plugs (Me Thinks - not sure) just drain and check for filings in the oil etc...

Good Luck ...Oh and if successful... have a clothes peg handy! ;):D

Mine does the same, very slightly in 3rd and a small bit louder in 4th, there was a thread on here about it not long ago, apparently it's pretty common i was thinking about changing the oil in the gearbox to see if it make it any quiter, my clutch also make a very slight noise, i'm pretty sure it's the thrust bearing, i've had a few vauxhall that have done the same.

Bee....

if it was a prob with box it wouldnt disapear when you put foot on clutch mate id put my life on it being thrust bearing.also if it was box it would defo whine under acceleration.

Not Necessarily..notice he has specified 3rd and 4th and second a little along with a little grinding, a thrust bearing would do this in all the gears and isn't selective of what gear it prefers, I'd go more for the lay shaft bearings as that tends to manifest itself more in the higher gears due to load being applied to the rear of the box.. as the load off the clutch pushes on the layshaft moving the pressure along the shaft and on to the higher gears/bearings hence the sound..

mmm that does make a lot of sense 28v6r im just surpised it doesnt whine under acceleration aswell because id have thought its under more load then however due to latter part of initial thread id still say that a bit of it is thrust bearing aswell tbh i should have spent a little more time reading first part of initial thread.sorry fab il concentrate harder in future i dont like giving wrong advice.

Slight Diff whine on part throttle/over-run - normal on 020/02As. You'll soon know when it's knackered as the noise is horrendous.

Clutch pedal released noise - If it's a grinding, thrust bearing. If it's a rattle, layshaft bearing.

Box off in either case but neither is critical. 02As go on for years making noises with no adverse effects. Just depends how irritating you find it.