bumper smoothing diy style

• 2 weeks later...

hi, have smoothed off the back, and have taken off the front to do the same!

So whats the best way to tackle it?

i'm gonna cover over the number plate, idicator holes and maybe the two lower holesto the left and right of the main inlet.

my plan is to cut the back out of the idicator holders, to leave a 1cm lip, afix a plate to the back some how?? (suggestions), then fibre glass, resin and filler to smooth finish.

Number plate part, fibre glass and then filler.

anyone done this? or got any tips or advice???

would be much appreciated.

thanks

cav

• 2 weeks later...

ye the best way is to fibre glass it first but before that MAKE SURE you ruff the bumper up with sand papper other wise this will not stick then start you fibre glass layers then when you have got the correct hight you want (leaving a bit of room for the filler layers)got over the fibre with the filler thats how iv done it. with the plate lay the bumper flat put what ever you want over the hole were the indicators were and simpely fibre glass over it this will then give you the base havent done my front yet but will done soon just have to source a bumper you are best to get another bumper and keep you original for sale time etc.

p.s i chosse to use mesh from wicks 5quid worked wicked for the hole then fibred over the mesh droped the bumper a few times as well and didnt fall out or crack so must be a good job.

Dont forget to seal the mesh/fibreglass/filler from behind, pref. with a polyurethane sealer, i.e sikkaflex or tiger seel, Or water will get under it and lift it within a couple of months! If that.

Personally, i would use a UPOL product called SMC over fibreglass, as this is better for parts that may flex!