1994 VR6 Intermediate shaft bearing

Guest Grasleeman

Hi all. Just had the accesory belt tensioner assembly replaced as it seized. Noticed a 'new' noise but was advised it was alternator. Been driving for a week or so and on closer inspection the intermediet shaft is flating like a good 'un. Is this an engine out job, (looks a bit tight) and is any other damage likely to have been caused. Thanks peeps.

the intermediate shaft indeed does drive the oil pump and it also connects bottom and top chains together i would advise you not to drive car if or even start it if there is a problem with this because you will kill engine i had 1 where the bolt came loose on this shaft and it bent 8 out of 12 valves.you need to get this sorted asap but shaft is not visible so i take it you can hear noise and not see anything.its located along back of block and pulleys for it are behind chain covers.

Guest Grasleeman

Pulley is visible (below tensioner) I can see the pulley running concentrically and the belt is wandering so that's definitely it. I can't see that it will move far enough for the timing chains to come off the sprocket though. Does not look you can get it out with the engine in place though. The bearings are 'cap' style so looked like they have disintegrated. Does anyone know easiest way?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Grasleeman

Duuuuuuur!

All sorted. It was water pump. Apologies for being so stoopid. I put it down to a very badly illustrated 'Peter Russek' Manual. It did tell the guys at the garage how to replace water pump without taking engine out though so has been some help.