Hi everyone!

It seems the tensioner that i replaced is not the cause of the annoying noise coming from the engine :@ . It's been narrowed down to be the the Air Con compressor/pump. Funds are a little on the thin side these days !sad , so was wondering if it were possible to disconnect or remove it as a temporary solution? Anyone had any experience with this?

Cheers

Nel :)

Ooooh, ac compressors are scarily expensive. It's on an electromagnetic clutch, so as long as you don't run the ac, it should just freewheel away and not cause you any grief.

If you did want to remove the pump, you'd need the non-ac brackets and belt from the non-ac engine I'm afraid.

Ooooh, ac compressors are scarily expensive. It's on an electromagnetic clutch, so as long as you don't run the ac, it should just freewheel away and not cause you any grief.

:@ Yeah thats what i was afraid of. The noise is coming from the pumps internals as it freewheels. It's becoming unbearably embarasing, which is why i was hoping to just disconnect the thing.

Are the VW A/C Pumps all the same on the Golf 3/4 or the VR have it's own particular part number? Maybe search a few scrappys and see what i can find.

Cheers for the info pal.

:) Nel

should think you can get reconditioned but not sure as for my alternative just buy non aircon auxillery belt and unbolt pump and remove and fit new belt however you will need to find some way of securing aircon pipes if you plan on refitting another pump last 1 i did i just removed the complete system pipes and pump and aircon rad.

Does the rad need to come out as well? Was thinking of just removing the pump, get the auxilliary belt and securing the pipes as u said. I will need to have another pump put in at some point, so don't really wanna go into total carnage if u know what i mean. Cheers m8 for the advice, much appreciated. :)