painting engine cover

Mate, it's an absolute ball ache to do and it will turn out a mess if you slip even once on a letter. I did it to mine and I wasn't happy with it, so, I took it off and polished my inlet manifold.

If you're gonna do it, take it off, this means removing all the plastic around it.

You could use enamel model paint or buy a tin of red from halfords and spray some in a lid and use a brush.

Hope this helps. J

fritz,

i did this to mine : -

myvr6engine2.jpg

i didn't think it was too bad to do, gave it to a body shop who painted the cover red, then i got some tamiya plastic model paint and a small brush, sat in the lounge, and carefully painted the lettering in silver...

i found that if i made a small mistake if i was quick enough i could wipe off the excess with a piece of kitchen roll with no trace.....

i think it was worth doing...

richie

• 2 weeks later...

I painted mine - easy enough. Use enamel paint. sets the car off nicley. Its not 100% perfect if you look up close, but it was done in about 10 mins and looks fine. got a pic somewhere but cant find it. If i did it again i'd take a little more time and mask off the rest of it.

If you spill it wipe it immediatly with absorbant cloth to suck it out the grain.

You dont need to take the cover off, but it you prefer to then its dead easy to get off.