BMW 325Ti - how fast against VR?

hey guys, not being a boy racer or anything but everyday i have this argument with a guy at work...

He states that his 325Ti can beat my VR6 in a race, i said the only way to settle this is to hit the roads and he refuses to race (claims he doesnt race people)

thought it would make an interesting topic - what are your experiences and what are they like?

cheers

the BMW is a heavy old lump, wouldnt think a lot would be in it tbh, my old Rallye golf used to piss on 325`s :P that was about 220 bhp, (and sounded like a harrier jump jet!)

people under estimate the vr6 just because its a golf, most people are surprised when they been in mine! and you tell them its a 2.8 in such a small car !amazed

What? Lol 325 auto i am not being funny but is he joking?

1. VR Would have him away off line with a decent launch, 2. Above 70 he will seriously disshapear.

The BMW is a big heavy car and being an auto not all of its power is put to the best use. I raced a 330ci a few weeks ago and he caned me off the lights and all through second, but when i got in 3rd got level with him, and kept level with him - he didnt pull, and heard him hit the limiter in 3rd.

Bottom line is - your VR would make mincemeant of that car mate! ;)

I thought they were!!!!

My mate was driving one at the weekend, and he didn't realise it had a turbo. So we went to have a look. For the life of me I couldn't see a turbo on the exhaust mani anywhere. must be a bloody small unit.. At first he thought it was quite a slow car, but after our conversation, and another test spin, he thought it was fairly quick.

the one i race was with manuel gears. the one with 193bhp(325ti compact) and not the old one 323ti with only 170bhp.

i had no probs with a 525 with autogearboks,also 193bhp

there is a wold of diff. between 325 coupe and a compact

much lighter sheel

bmw 0-62 = 7.1s, top speed = 146, power to weight = 127.7bhp/tonne

vr6 0-60 = 7.1s, top speed = 137, power to weight = 150.6bhp/tonne

so tho the bmw has a faster top speed as standard, it would be to close to call off the line. we all know that most vr's will do well over the 140 mark, and i do believe the power to weight would have a definate advantage over the bmw! my friend at work has the z4 roadster, and with its bigger engine and more power standard, i have no probs keeping up with him at all at speeds not usually done on a&b roads.

Guys the 325ti is not turbo charged, jeepers if it was it would be producing slightly more than 193bhp! The 'ti' stands for 'Touring Internationale' It would be great to charge one though!

I know Hartge have just dropped an M5 engine in a 1 Series, should be interesing!

I reckon a sorted VR would certianly do a standing quarter quicker than a steptronic Compact no matter which one it is.

just tell him there are far better cars you could race and still win, and dont even see his rep car as a challenge anyway, either that or just anhialate him on the road and end the discussion once and for all! remember speed isnt just a straight line, its about the handling and driver too and rear wheel drive cars can be a handfull if you arent that good at driving round the twisty stuff!

Cool I learnt something from this thread! TI stands for: 'Touring Internationale' - knew them bloody beamers were not turbos! Otherwise they would shift' date=' and whistle instead of making the boring noise that they do. ;)

[/quote']

il confirm 325 ti is not a turbo bmw 2.5 is 193 bhp and sounds gogeous as do all straight 6 beemer engines

325ti compact' date='is faster raced one ages ago.

and i gave everything.and the vr i had then was ne of the better ones.

[/quote']

My dads got a 325ti compact (manual) its not as powerfull or as quick as my highline through any of the gears, theirs not that much in it, its just down to power to weight, but driving both the vr feels alot quicker.