Syntha silver - and how useless are VW Caffyns!

Hi

My girlfriend went into a Caffyns store today to the Parts Dept to pick up some Syntha Silver 10w 40 (semi-synthetic) engine oil for me. Sounds simple enough... Well not with Caffyns!

Firstly the bottle she came back with doesn't even say "Syntha Silver" anywhere on it she said, secondly the Caffyns man told my gf that it wasn't semi-synthetic, and thirdly the man said you shouldn't use semi-synthetic in a golf VR6. How cr*p are they? Anyway I haven't even seen the bottle yet but I told my gf it's clearly not the one and I'm taking it back Sat morning before 11am (the only time they're open at the weekend!) to get a refund. How useless are they... they clearly don't know their ar*e from their elbow. I'm annoyed because I wanted to use some this evening but now have to wait a week before I can get down there when they're actually open.

Can I confirm a couple of things: is "Syntha Silver" written on the bottle and is Syntha Silver (for the Golf VR6) semi-synthetic and suitable for the Golf VR6?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Matt

Hi,

It won't say 'Synta Silver' on the bottle. It's just a silver bottle with Synta written on it.

It is semi-synth, it says 'Syntehtic Blend' on the label.

And finally, its the right choice for the VR6. I've always used it, as do others on this forum. Never had problems with it.

The hand book also recommends VW 500.00 oil - which is Synta Silver.

From memory the Synta Gold is the fully synth version.

Mine is a silver bottle like you say but has Quantum in big letters all over it, and no where does it say "Synta Silver", only Synta Synthetic Blend Motor Oil. Seems to be what you say above, but the bloke in Caffyns said it was not semi synthetic and it doesn't say "semi"-synthetic anywhere. I'm going to try a Sidlow as from my experience they are far better than Caffyns and know what they are talking about. Someone on the corrado forum said it should say "Synta Silver" on the bottle.

ayup mate i,ve got 2 freinds who work vw nottm, they have always told me to use,

quantum silver which is [synta ] synthetic blend motor oil,10w-40 i,m looking at my 5ltr bottle now they said full synthetic may give me oil leaks,they use it in there modded vw,s by the way morning. :)

i have to defend myself here....

we are not all useless - there are some us at vw who know what they are doing!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway you are correct - DEFINATELY the oil for a vr is silver synta and if your local dealer doesn't know what that is then they are **********!!!!

i have to defend myself here....

we are not all useless - there are some us at vw who know what they are doing!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway you are correct - DEFINATELY the oil for a vr is silver synta and if your local dealer doesn't know what that is then they are **********!!!!

we know your a cut above the rest ;)

as your a vr6oc member!

Thanks guys. No offense intended at all Richie... it's only the Caffyns in Goring, West Sussex that are really bad...really bad. Twice they have been rude to my gf. Once when she went in there enquiring to buy a brand new polo... they treated her like cr*p with no respect at all (rather similar to the Pretty Woman film where the girl goes into the expensive clothes shop). She's in her early 20's but even so. Anyway their loss...she went straight to Sidlow in Guildford and bought one! That'll teach them...losing a £9k sale like that when she was dead set on buying one.

Back to the oil...So to confirm - even though it doesn't actually say "Synta Silver" (it only says "Synta Synthetic blend motor oil") and even though it doesn't say "semi-synthetic" anywhere... it is still the right stuff?? It only has 10w40 on the back in small letters...but no where does it say semi-synthetic. I believe on the front it says suitable for turbo-charged gasoline or diesel cars.

What a confusion. What added to it was the fact that the parts bloke said it definitely was NOT semi-synthetic.

By the way, I think it was around £16 for the 5 ltrs (still about £10 cheaper than Castrol GTX!).

Does anyone have a quick pic of the front of the bottle or can show a link with a pic of the correct stuff...just so I can ensure I do have the right stuff?

Update: I've found the VAG part no. on the receipt. It's: VAG ZGB115QLB00406

Is this the correct stuff and is it semi-synthetic?

matth - i don't take offence mate - i talk to other dealers all day and some of them are totally hopeless!!!!

(did i say that!!!???)

but that is 150% definately the right oil...

they must be total monkeys if they don't know what silver synta is .......

ps.. don't take the gf's polo there for a service - they don't sound too clever!!