[poll] Which super unleaded do u think is better for the VR6 engine?

I have tried Optimax in my VR6. Previously I have used it in my Rover 800 Vitesse (2.0 litre turbocharged), my Rover 827 Sterling (2.7 V6 Honda engine) and my Rover 620 Ti (same engine as the Vitesse) and my Rover 420 GSi.

In terms of performance, I never noticed a difference in any of my cars difference when running on Optimax. I seriously doubt it makes any difference to the vast majority, with the possibly exeption of highly tuned vehicles.

In my experiences, fuel economy invariably suffered fairly significantly when using Optimax.

I have only tried BP Ultimate Unleaded once. It was the most expensive option then. I got even fewer miles from a full tank than I would have with Optimax.

Nowadays I use Sainsbury's Super Unleaded, which typically costs the same as normal unleaded from BP/Shell and the rest.

I think the high octane, "High Performance" fuels are at best over hyped and unnecessary for the majority, at worst a blatant rip off.

I have trialled Optimax and Ultimate over the course of 4 weeks each and found my car to prefer the Ultimate. The Optimax performed no better, and the economy was worse. I have tried other fuels also and found Ultimate to be the best all rounder.

Don't forget that Optimax relies on additives to raise the Ron rating and if the pump is not used often then the additives can settle leaving you with a very expensive 95 ron fuel :o

At the end of the day i use whatever is closest when i need petrol, never noticed any difference. Just use optimax or ultimate every few tank fulls to take advantage of the cleaning additives.

If i had to say which one i use most i'd say ultimate as it's closest to my house.

Both are the same as each other really unless you have a tuned engine with high cylinder pressures, the difference between the cleaning additives is probably minimal too. Don't worry about it ;)

A similar subject was covered in this thread http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?95258

imo Optimax is far better.

When i run anything less than 97ron by car doesn't run as smoothly and last time i used ultimate (during last petrol price rise) it did the same thing - so i'm not entirely convinced it was 97ron comming out of that pump that i had to pay 104p per litre for!!!! :o

just my 2p

I've tried Optimax several times and it doesn't seem to make too much difference.

But I tried BP Ultimate the other week and my engine loved it. Went like a rocket.

Generally, though, I run it on normal 95 octane unleaded. Most of my driving is motorway cruising, mind.

i,ve been using optimax since it came out,

my vr loves it and plus it,s just up the road from me, i did not notice anything when i first started using it but after a while i did and i think my car runs smoother, i panic now if they run out of optimax at my local station. :o

use optimax/ultimate all the time.put some normal unleaded in,seemed down on power?reverted back to superunleaded and the vr seems more responsive/aggressive on acceleration as soon as you blip the throttle.putting nowt but superunleaded in from now on.

I use Tesco 99 ron and it is cheaper than some 95 ron petrol and Ultimate is far more expensive! I find my car runs much better when it is full up than half a tank. Out of all three, I find there's very little difference... other than Tesco being cheapest, then Optimax then Ultimate... at least where live. Optimax is supposed to be 98ron and Ultimate 97ron... and if they are what they say they are then Optimax 'should' be be better based on this. I doubt there is very little in it personally unless you have a 300bhp turbo monster or similar...

as above the Tesco 99 ron is really good gear, got more mpg from a tank of that too! a lot of Tescos down south have it and its slowly being rolled out across the uk, the only reason it even exists is due to the new "The Tesco 99 ron Rally of great britain" so its those motorsport boys and girls we have to thank, try some if you get a chance, my vr loves it!!

• 2 weeks later...

I work for a large oil refinery in the UK, we supply lo sulphur petrol and diesel to just about every forecourt in the north of the UK, this is simple economics. You go to a shell garage or the bp one across the road and you'll probably be getting the same stuff. The supermarkets are cheaper as they don't play ball with the oil majors and buy from spot markets, so you don't know what your getting there. I run my VR6 on any 95ron as using 98ron cannot justify the price hike, 98ron was initially designed for large high performance engines and should give you a little more torque in a VR6.

Ultimate or optimax? it's just the oil companies spin on the fact that they have to meet new more environmentally friendly specs on the fuel they sell. I put a little redex in to keep things clean, petrol is made from crude oil and some of those 'crudes' make it through to your tank. Whether some suppliers add additives after the fuel has left the depot I don't know. What I know is that the 'oil' majors spend millions on marketing to get you to buy their stuff and they make almost as much money again selling you sweets and coffee once your at the garage, ingenius!

Comparisons are useless unless your in a labratory but if one works for you, then keep buying that. My philosophy is put it in the tank and put your foot to the floor, life's too short to bother about it.

Possibly even shorter if you fill up with 'super' as that has more of the carcinogen benzene in it to get the octane up.

I never use the supermarkets and try my hardest to use esso if not then its shell or BP.

When the VR went on the RR at tsr it was on good ole normal unleaded and came in at a very healthy figure of a little smidge over 170 at the wheels.

I watch fuel consumption like a hawk as I drive the best part of a hundred thousand miles a year and I have to pay for my own fuel. I have over 20 years come to the conclusion that there is not alot between them but I do manage to consistantly get more mpg from Esso.

There seems no ryhme or reason to this it's just how the receipts tally up.

• 1 month later...

i'm using the tesco 99 ron in my vr6 which has now appeared in the sheffield area and can honestly say cant tell any difference performance wise though its definitely getting more miles from a tank now - we also use it in our 2.0 L Beetle and the economy has improved noticeably from about 300 ish from a full tank to nearly 350 miles