making the most of my mods???

my car will shortly have a full stainless de-catted exhaust witha wrapped ported 6-2-1 manifold and a BMC witha proper cold air feed.

is it worth getting the car mapped to suit these mods to get the max bhp out of them???

this is all the engine mods i will be fitting to my car so once mapped it would not need the map altered.

also if i was to map the car what would be the best chip/installer and how much???

Depends if your car is an odb2 (made after 1995). If it is then you may see up to about 3 or maybe 5bhp on top of the mods themselves, but no more. I asked Stealth about this and I have virtually exactly the same mods as you mate. Vince at stealth said the gains would be very minimal ...i was on the borderline of needing it done... he said if I wanted more mods then go ahead otherwise it probably wasn't worth it. It will improve drivability but not power. My car is an odb2. The odb2 ecu is very good from the factory he said and even with my mods good enough to adjust and 'self learn' new settings.

If your car is pre95 and an odb1 then you will see very good gains with a remap as the ecu is no where near as good as the odb2 ecu. Stealth charge 300+vat for a 'rechip' which allows the car's original ecu to be remapped anytime in the future and a lot cheaper than most other companies which normally charge 400+. With things as fragile as chipping or remapping (which has to be absolutely spot on otherwise it can cause big problems) I wouldn't trust anyone other than stealth... that's my opinion though. I'm sure there are other good ones out there too.

Good luck mate. Let us know how you get on.

Depends if your car is an odb2 (made after 1995). If it is then you may see up to about 3 or maybe 5bhp on top of the mods themselves' date=' but no more. I asked Stealth about this and I have virtually exactly the same mods as you mate. Vince at stealth said the gains would be very minimal ...i was on the borderline of needing it done... he said if I wanted more mods then go ahead otherwise it probably wasn't worth it. It will improve drivability but not power. My car is an odb2. The odb2 ecu is very good from the factory he said and even with my mods good enough to adjust and 'self learn' new settings.

If your car is pre95 and an odb1 then you will see very good gains with a remap as the ecu is no where near as good as the odb2 ecu. Stealth charge 300+vat for a 'rechip' which allows the car's original ecu to be remapped anytime in the future and a lot cheaper than most other companies which normally charge 400+. With things as fragile as chipping or remapping (which has to be absolutely spot on otherwise it can cause big problems) I wouldn't trust anyone other than stealth... that's my opinion though. I'm sure there are other good ones out there too.

Good luck mate. Let us know how you get on.

[/quote']

I think your wrong.

I was always under the impression that a chip was pointless on either setup unless there where mods like cams or a schrick.

I'm going to go and check, but I think your mistaken.

I may be wrong mate. You're definitely right in the fact a remap is highly recommended in both cases with mods like cams or shrick as these alter the fuelling quite a bit and the remap ensures the fuelling is spot on to prevent detonation and pinking. A remap is mainly to ensure the fuelling is correct...and this necessary with big mods. Added power is just a bonus but not always the case.

A basic chip is no where near as good as a remap but from my understanding will give a boost in power in the odb1 cars but not in odb2.

power is a byproduct of correct fuel/air mixture too much of either and u wont make as much as u can

ur mods will increase airflow quite a bit and the stock ecu just wont add enough fuel meaning u almost certainly WILL run lean to some extent. u can easily get away with it without any dmg upto a point but id get a remap for piece of mind more than anything else

if you do go for one go to Dastek http://www.dastek.co.uk/services.htm in Dalgety Bay, just along from the forth road bridge, you could also go to Sat Performance in Kirkcaldy http://www.starperformance.co.uk/ but I would say Dastek will be better, they are the makers of the chips Stealth Racing use, they will cost a bit more than Star but you will get a better product and map from them :)

remap will always be better,then some program/boks thats coupled between oe ecu and engine.

dastek and then works are only used by people that don´t how to remap the oe ecu,if you buy a complet system like efi and others that another story,and if you build a race engine(ore put a newer engine in a mark1 golf)the efi and others are the way too go.

I may be wrong mate. You're definitely right in the fact a remap is highly recommended in both cases with mods like cams or shrick as these alter the fuelling quite a bit and the remap ensures the fuelling is spot on to prevent detonation and pinking. A remap is mainly to ensure the fuelling is correct...and this necessary with big mods. Added power is just a bonus but not always the case.

A basic chip is no where near as good as a remap but from my understanding will give a boost in power in the odb1 cars but not in odb2.

Yeah but he's not getting a schrick or cams, so is there any point?? I was adviced not to bother with a map unless I got the schrick etc.