VW Golf MKIII VR6 - Anything I should be wary of?

Guest OZ-Racing

Hello Chaps,

I've just strayed over from the GTI-R owner's club for the following reason.

My gf has a silly little French hunk of junk 2003 1.2 16V Clio.

A friend of mine is selling his Golf (as described in the title) and I think that it would be a nice little step up for her ;) 8)

It's well looked after and had a full body respray about 2 years ago and looks mint :D

I took it for a drive today (I let the gf have a little go :P ), it drives brilliantly (although brakes seem worse than the standard GTI-R !amazed , might have to have a little look at them %-6 ) and sounds 8)

So, back to the plot.......... I'm popping over to his tomorrow and I'm going to 'cold start' it and do all the usual checks (I'm pretty mechanically minded).

I was just wondering whether anybody on here has any pointers for me, any known, expensive problems.

It's a 1996 'P' reg (95,000 miles), so the engine issues mentioned here: http://www.caranddriving.com/temp/VOLKSWAGEN%20GOLF%20VR6%20%281992-1998%29.pdf have been ironed out.

Any help will be much appreciated :D

Guest OZ-Racing

Hey mate' date=' there is a buying guide on here, not sure if you've got to be a premium member or not tho! :|

[/quote']

I had a look for one, but couldn't find it B)

I'll have another look ;)

Anything I should be wary of?

1)Petrol Stations

2)Timing chain rattle at 1200rpm - listen on right hand side of engine as you are looking at car from front

3)Dubious air intake work

4)You're mechanically minded - standard water and oil leaks including head gasket leaks

5)Standard suspension

6)Badly judged replacement suspension

7)Electric window operation

8 )Heavy right foot

9)See 1

10)See 2, and check again.

Don't know if it mentions it in the buyers guide, but make sure its dry under the radiator header tank. They start forcing water out when the head gasket is ready to go, as I have recently found out !grr Check the coolant level before you start it and after you've had it for a run and make sure it has not lost any coolant!

Guest OZ-Racing

Anything I should be wary of?

1)Petrol Stations

8 )Heavy right foot

9)See 1

!lol I think those two points are more of an issue with my little toy:

Image061.jpg

Thanks for all the advice, I'm off for a proper look now ;)