Rear taillight bulb and rear foglight - what codes?

Hi

Ok first time I've had to change any lights on my golf...

My rear tail light wasn't working the other night (surprisingly it is now - is this common for a bulb to not work one day and then come back on the next day). Anyway my rear foglight definitely isn't working on my passenger side... the driver one is. I am going to get a new rear tail light bulb for when it does go permanently and also one for the rear foglight. I had a look in the handbook and there are two codes for the rear taillight - 12v 21/5W and another code.. for a tail light accessory (not sure what this is but it has a different code) Which code is the correct one?

And whats the code for the rear foglight?

I assume I have to unscrew the whole rear light unit from the car before I can gain access to the spring clips etc (and then it should be straight forward)?

Cheers

Matt

You do not need to unscrew anything mate! Just unclip the whole light board from inside the car. The bulbs are just a bayonet fixing like a light bulb in your house (depending which country your in). Just ask for a sidelight bulb for a mk3 golf on a 97 plate. The earlier ones had combined sidelight/brakelight bulbs but yours should be seperate like mine. I just put one in mine, cost 40pence from a local motor factors.

Are you talking about a bulb? If so, take bulb out, walk into Halfords, pick up bulb the same size, take to counter, hand over £2, put on car, light now works, job done. If you go to your local dealer with a part code for a lightbulb, they'll think you're an idiot.

Not the part code sorry ... I mean the "type" of bulb. Is it the 12v 21/5W or the other one mentioned in hand book for the "Tail Light Additional 12v 5w... There are two mentioned in the hand book. Does anyone know of hand? I'll be taking out the bulb this weekend when its light (no pun intended). What is this additional tail light? I won't be going to my local dealer lol... Halfords or CPA is always my port of call for simple things like bulbs. Picking up a bulb the same size sounds a bit hit and miss to me.

I had a look at the back of the light after peeling back the carpet wall. Looks as though I have to unscew the whole unit to get access. There's no springs or bulbs that I can get access to while the whole unit is in place. Tried pulling out a few clips but they are just wire connectors.

Picking up a bulb the same size sounds a bit hit and miss to me.

Please tell me you're joking?

lol please tell me you are? Cant just pick up any old bulb that looks the 'same size' !dodge You need the correct wattage/volts...A lot of bulbs look the same size but have different wattage!

Anyway cheers for all the replies though. I'm surprised too this has turned into two pages lol