hi all!

i have noticed that recently there is a small puff of blue smoke out the back of my car, sometimes it is when i stop, and others when i change gear? it doesnt do it when i cane the sh*t out of it? also

the back of the car has small specks of black soot up the bumper and tailgate, like its over fueling? the exhaust is always very black. the car has 130k on the clock, and has vauxhall 10/40 semi oil in it.

has any one got any ideas. (i)

i just left work and booted it from cold and sure enough a little puff of blue smoke?? i will take plugs out and have a look later.. people say it could be valve stem seals but all the cars ive had with this in the past would smoke like a trooper on tick over and mine doesnt, just the odd puff when driving?

i remember a guy changing my tyre at a random garage rev'ving it from cold and it smoked too....eat this is right thought it'll f*** it up good. Need to treat your engine to less than 3000RPM until 70 degrees on the oil temp... i think thats the correct advice, i may be wrong.

i know that booting ur car when cold can do damage!

all i ment was that i put my foot down in second gear to see if there was any smoke? i have also noticed 2nite when i got to the bottom of a hill and then pulled away that there was a puff of smoke! so maybe it is the valve stem seals?

I always stay under 3000RPM until i'm over 90 degrees on oil temp just to be sure. Thats also the reason i was luckily only doing about 65mph when i crashed my old VR into the woods in January as i'd just left my mates house and the engine was as cold as an eskimos tackle. Just shows that it can save more than your engine.

OK I'll tell you my story. I had quite a similar problem mate and convinced myself it was valve guides and stem seals. I had my whole head re-built and a couple days later the smoking re-appeared.

The problem lay with worn oil rings and bores, on vacuum (overrun) the compression of then engine was sucking oil up passed the oil and compression rings and the engine was burning it off, I also developed terrible piston slap over a period of time and many people thought it was follower noise.

I would ask you how many miles your VR has done but mine had only covered 60k!!!

The reason for all this hasstle? Apparently the previous owner was (so the garrage told me) driving it badly from cold (booting it) and only driving it very short distances and not letting the oil reach normal temperatures.

If your cars smoking when you boot it and on the overrun, i'm sorry to be so blatent mate but the bottom end is lightly to be fucked. If it's stem seals, it'll do it on start up straight away (Justin will vouch for this as I saw his doing it last year) and then it will stop as it warms up as the cat will stop the majority of smoke as it warms up and it will continue to just puff a bit of smoke on the overrun.

i will prob do the valve stem seals, and then drive it on!!

im going to turbo it at the end of the year so i will drop a rebuilt 2.9 in aswell! thanks james.

(i did read ur posts on ur car, many of them) (ci)

OK I'll tell you my story. I had quite a similar problem mate and convinced myself it was valve guides and stem seals. I had my whole head re-built and a couple days later the smoking re-appeared.

The problem lay with worn oil rings and bores' date=' on vacuum (overrun) the compression of then engine was sucking oil up passed the oil and compression rings and the engine was burning it off, I also developed terrible piston slap over a period of time and many people thought it was follower noise.

I would ask you how many miles your VR has done but mine had only covered 60k!!!

The reason for all this hasstle? Apparently the previous owner was (so the garrage told me) driving it badly from cold (booting it) and only driving it very short distances and not letting the oil reach normal temperatures.

If your cars smoking when you boot it and on the overrun, i'm sorry to be so blatent mate but the bottom end is lightly to be fucked. If it's stem seals, it'll do it on start up straight away (Justin will vouch for this as I saw his doing it last year) and then it will stop as it warms up as the cat will stop the majority of smoke as it warms up and it will continue to just puff a bit of smoke on the overrun.

[/quote']

Same problem here mate, got some piston slap thats getting worse, at an alarming pace! lukily, Vince is building me a 2.9 litre low compression bottom end for me :)

Im really worried now, mine has started to do this recently , if your kind of coasting along and then boot it a bit , i get a little puff of white smoke from the rear, it doesnt do this on tickover but smells to be running a bit rich, no piston slap either, i thought it was the crankcase breather on mine as ive noticed thats its split and cos it carries an oil feed i thought maybe oil was going into the intake and then just getting burnt in the exhaust( ive got a de cat on mine), i also thought it was the head gasket but its not overheating or using a lot of coolant either, some one please help me!!!

on the weekend i took my TB off to bore it out, and i noticed that the intake pipe that goes to the TB has a small split in it where the back breather pipe goes in to it?? im going to get a power rohr pipe to replace it next? and i noticed oil in the pipe so that could could make the car smoke if it was to pass through TB?

• 2 weeks later...