lookin at this as a possibilty but few questions to the guys who have chargers:

what type of charger options have i got?

have u guys charged ur engines without any internal mods?

does mileage seem to make a difference?(example do i need to look at rebuilding before charging?)

im only looking for a low boost kit so is std comp ratio acceptable?

what mileage are ur motors on at the mo?

finally cost wise what am i reoughly lookin at?

i will be doin the fitting myself,so only parts

cheers in advance people :)

You need no internal mods under 8psi fella. Any more your going to need extra cooling (intercoler) and then more than that compression issues will arise and so will detonation.

Injectors are a problem above 6.5psi as I have found out. Mine are pulsing at nearly 100% at 5,500rpm! Thats why that kit in the thread offers red top injectors for the stage two. If you use big injectors for low boost the car will run too rich as you can't turn them down enough (thats why Millsys car flamed out!).

I have had my whole engine re-built as it needed it (don't ask!) It's now 2.9 with forged pistons (standard compression) but you wont need them. If you lower the compression you will need to run more boost. Not worth it unless you are going to use a turbo instead of a charger tbh.

My kit was £1250 bolt on and £350+vat for a remap.

Put it this way mate. I wasted an S4 Cabriolet on the motorway on Saturday and had a great race with a day old Audi RS4, stayed with him to the top of 2nd gear then he started to gradually pull away from me and we hit a roundabout.

I haven't had decent R/R session yet due to a couple of little problems but it has to be making reasonable power now.

dub 25 who is a buddy of raj at nsracing seems to know his onions about chargers or kev haywire-pm them.i have a vortech v2 sq sc.just service every 6k.no issues apart from a leaking union on the sump return oil feed.the charger has done 50k from installation!

jays running z-enginnering zr2 charger excellent for 1/4 miles as spin up very quickly no drag and run cooler i used to run one but i wanted more bhp so now running v9 vortech gone up in stages now on 12psi stage 3 intercooled found late single chain vr lump with 30000 miles on clock left standard just got crank and fly wheel lighten and balanced stage 2 head and bought a shimmel l/c 9.1 head spacer with 2 metal head gaskets 248 cams shrick manifold and raceland manifold with catbypass and converted to obd2 and race clutch vince and raj recon 350 plus once mapped but will see but theres a standard vr with stage 3 thats it and thats got 315bhp at rajs and that runs sweet as a nut all depends on your wallet v9stage 1 £2200 or second hand zr between £700-£1000 and how good engine is soory if its dragged

Wayne, you certianly know your stuff! I actually paid £1250 for my charger and all the bits that go with it (including a specially made throttle body elbow) it has just recently been rebuilt. New barings etc. It does spin up well and god don't I love the sound of it. You'll find yourself never listening to the stereo!!!

in all honesty i loved my zr2 charger sounded the nuts ultra reliable and full throttle sounded like a jet plane only reason i changed to a v9 was im very good mate of rajs and i do alot of work for him plumbing and heating and in return he gives me goods e.g v9 upgrades etc its hard to say no u get hooked very quickly but if any body needs spares for the z-enginnering charger i have the number in switzerland where they still make everthing for them only open on fridays but very reliable

in all honesty i loved my zr2 charger sounded the nuts ultra reliable and full throttle sounded like a jet plane only reason i changed to a v9 was im very good mate of rajs and i do alot of work for him plumbing and heating and in return he gives me goods e.g v9 upgrades etc its hard to say no u get hooked very quickly but if any body needs spares for the z-enginnering charger i have the number in switzerland where they still make everthing for them only open on fridays but very reliable

Nice one fella. I'll keep your number close to hand, you never know!! You're right about full throttle. No one expects to hear a Golf whistle like it does, as soon as a person in the know hears it and sees it's a VR6 they don't even bother. I used to get all the rice boys trying it on, but now all I get is a kind of embarrassed, red faced glance!!

in all honesty if u want quick power no engine mods and happy with 250-260bhp go for second hand zr2 charger about £800-£1000

1149337415_2729_FT121053_stage_3_151_.jpg

i think this sounds good for my first go mate lol,250 bhp would do me 4 now ;)

so what about fuel consumption? i know that sounds silly but im interested :)