VR overheating advice please? **SOLVED**

Hello guys the last few times I've been out on a long run in the VR I've noticed the temp has been moving up towards the 100 mark (usually it sits dead straight up at 90) after a bit of motorway driving for longer than 1/2 an hour, I then have to whack the internal heater on to get it back down again :-(

Both fans "seem" to be coming on at both high and low speed, although can't tell when I'm driving, but they do when its stationery but just not till its actually getting up over the 100 mark...... sure they used to come on earlier than that?

I thought it may be the thermistat sticking but all the pipes "seem" to be getting warm and the rad appears to be warm all over? I don;t think it the Head Gasket, as Oils clean, as is oil top cover and no water loss.

Anyone had the same problem? Any ideas?

Thanks Simon.

Hi Simon, Could be a partially sticking thermostat perhaps, air lock in the system, I'd start with the easy DIY things fist to rule them out first. Doesnt sound anything too serious, however, you may want to get a compression test to put your mind at rest.

Pete

Maybe the temperature sensor faulty for the fans, or even the temp gauge. Another easy job to do, while you doing your thermostat. Tools required are allen keys, pump pliers, and a torx. Think there is a couple of threads recently on how to do it. two hours including coolant flush and refill and air purge. That was my first time.

I'd also get a Neuspeed 180 Degree 3 Pole Fan Switch, and flush your coolant system out at the same time.

When I had my thermostat replaced, the garage ended up breaking my plastic crack pipe, so be carefull of this, also the seals in the thermostat housing are subjectable to breaking up when you take the housing apart.

Seal Ring 021 121 119 A

O-Ring N 903 168 02 QTY 3

Seal N 901 368 02

O-Ring N 101 392 01

Pete

The rad fans don't come on until well past 100. This is by design, as the boiling point of water is well over 100 degrees when under pressure.

As Pete says, it's worth changing the thermostat first if you're concerned about overheating. When changing mine, I found it easier to take the whole thermostat housing off the engine first, as access to the thermostat cover is too tricky otherwise. Remove the thermostat housing-to-crack pipe adapter first (2 5mm allen bolts) then remove the housing from the cylinder head (3 5mm allen bolts, the top one is shorter and recessed). Removing the battery and coilpack greatly aids access.

With the housing removed, undo the three 5mm allen bolts for the thermostat cover and remove the cover to reveal the thermostat (which just then screwdrivers out). Note the location of the sealing ring and make sure the new one goes on exactly the same way.

Nick.

Hello guys the last few times I've been out on a long run in the VR I've noticed the temp has been moving up towards the 100 mark (usually it sits dead straight up at 90) after a bit of motorway driving for longer than 1/2 an hour' date=' I then have to whack the internal heater on to get it back down again :-(

[/quote']

That's normal. After slowing down to urban traffic speeds after a period on the motorway, you get massive heatsoak from the exhaust manifold back into the head, which subsequently heats up the coolant. It's a lot worse on turbo cars!

Ignore the temp guage, it's inaccurate, a guide only. So long as the needle doesn't regularly go over half way, it's fine.

There are 3 fan speeds, 1 - 90 deg, 2 - 100 deg, and 3 - 120 deg.

3 should never come on during normal driving but I've rigged that up to a manual override switch on mine, which helps in these 32 degree days when sat in traffic. It's brutally effective!

Hello guys the last few times I've been out on a long run in the VR I've noticed the temp has been moving up towards the 100 mark (usually it sits dead straight up at 90) after a bit of motorway driving for longer than 1/2 an hour' date=' I then have to whack the internal heater on to get it back down again :-(

[/quote']

That's normal. After slowing down to urban traffic speeds after a period on the motorway, you get massive heatsoak from the exhaust manifold back into the head, which subsequently heats up the coolant. It's a lot worse on turbo cars!

Ignore the temp guage, it's inaccurate, a guide only. So long as the needle doesn't regularly go over half way, it's fine.

There are 3 fan speeds, 1 - 90 deg, 2 - 100 deg, and 3 - 120 deg.

3 should never come on during normal driving but I've rigged that up to a manual override switch on mine, which helps in these 32 degree days when sat in traffic. It's brutally effective!

The cars never EVER done this before though in 9 years of ownership. Including track days, long trips and short journeys?

Simon.