Help requested, hesitation in 5th :(

Looking for a little help over this side of the pond.

I have a 2003 24v 6 speed VR6 with a little issue.

If I am in 5th, 40-45 mph , 2000-2100 rpm the engine hesitates and looses power for a split second. It will keep doing this every second or so until I either change gear, speed up or slow down.

It's really bugging the shit out of me.

It has been going on for about 6 weeks now.

It just started happening, nothing was changed that would point to the problem.

I serviced the car about 6 months back, new plugs (Denso Iridium) clean airfilter, fuel filter oil ect.

I have a vag-com setup and it does not show any error codes when I do a scan.

It's weird, only in 5th at 40 mph. NO one here has been able to help me yet. I am almost at the point of dropping it off at the stealership and bending over.

Any help greatly apriciated.

Steve

No leads, (Coil packs)

Cam?

I am thinking it's an ecm issue. For some reason the ecm is screwing up the fuel injection in 5th gear.

Is it possible to reflash the software coding to the ecm?

Anyone know of such a thing?

Sounds like the same misfiring problem I have. It only happens below 1500RPM' date=' yes?

[/quote']

Right on 2000 for me.

Well, the first thing to do is check your plugs and leads. If one of your plugs has much more black soot on it than the others, chances are that's the cylinder that's misfiring. Unless the plugs have recently been changed anyway, change them.

For the leads, look for splits in the rubber boots at the spark plug end.

Run the car in the dark and look for electrical sparks around the spark plug holes and coil pack (I assume your VR is a coilpack model, yes?). The presence of sparks in one place indicates a problem in that area.

If you replace the plugs and leads and still have problems then you're in the same boat as me. I'm going to post a query on VWVortex about it this weekend.

ingham: no were not :) 24V's and R32's are more than welcome :)

Watch out for new forum sections soooon :)

i think jas meant we know more about 12v than 24v as we all own 12v ANYTHING with any vr6 is welcome includin the merc that had 1 oh and the veyron and w8 passat as theyr derived from a vr ;)

il take a shot in the dark and say clean the throttle body also could be leads or plugs

I had a very similar problem to this and it took about 3 garages to pin point the problem which turned out to be loose plugs of all things! I would cruising on the motorway and then all of a sudden it would just start, changed the leads and everything and all it turned out to be were loose plugs, did it before & after a service to so might be be worth checking they are tight

Thanks for the advice guys.

The plugs are Denso iridium I fitted them about 6 months back.

But, I will pull them all out, check the condition and try a run in the dark as suggested.

John, It only happens in 5th as far as I can tell.

I have tried various gears, revs ect but can only get the problems in 5th at 2000 rpm.

Ok, swapped out the plugs :(

The Denso ones I fitted a few months back were specified for the 12 valve engine.

So, nice new NGK 24Valve plugs :) Not a bit of differance.

Still hessitating and hopping along the road in 5th. :(

Next task to connect the vagcom and try to figure out exactly what is going on.

Ok, so the vagcom was hooked up and I logged a few K of data.

It shows a missfire on all cylinders when hopping along the road in 5th .

One weird thing I noticed was that the ignition angle (Timing I suppose) was all over the place. from 45 deg BTDC to 2 deg ATDC !! that cant be good.

Anyone out there have a clue what that's all about?

TIA